Sunday, August 26, 2012

YAH: Summer Lovin' Frame

It's been awhile since I posted a Young-at-Heart craft. I don't do a lot of decorating in the summer. This is kind of an end-of-summer craft, but I've had it out all season.
I didn't take pictures of my process. I don't know why. Maybe because I thought it was too simple to blog about, but I really like it and have enjoyed seeing it all summer. So I took a few pictures of my supplies and I hope my directions will be enough. As you probably know, I used the Grease line "Summer lovin' had me a blast!" I printed out the words "had me a blast!" in a fun font in green ink. When I cut the paper to fit my frame, I made sure to leave enough room at the top for "Summer Lovin'." Then I used pink, sparkly self-adhesive letters that I had from years ago to spell it out.
I knew there was no way I was going to be able to put them on straight, so I purposely made them a little playful. I also added some asterisks, which look like flowers to me, to fill in some white space. Then I went through my green paint samples that I had from when I painted our office a couple years back.
I tested each one out on the back of the frame (which was originally white) to see which color I liked best, then I painted the front. I was going for a pink and green watermelon look. I kept the glass out of the frame so those sparkly letters would pop a bit more.
I set it on my entry table next to a watermelon bowl, which I have also had for years. I filled the bowl with pink and green Starburst candies.
They didn't last very long. My husband loves Starburst. So since then it's been filled many times over with various candy. And now it sits completely empty. We like our sweets! The best thing about this craft, besides putting that awesome Grease song into my head, is that it didn't cost a thing and hardly took any time at all. I love being able to rummage through my supplies and use leftovers. That's why I rarely throw anything away! I hope your summer was a blast!

No comments: