Friday, March 2, 2012

Horton Hatches the Egg

Today's Dr. Seuss book was, as you can guess by the title of my post, Horton Hatches the Egg. I love this book. The whole "an elephant's faithful one hundred percent" thing just warms my heart. For our craft, I was inspired by a bulletin board I saw at A Place Called Kindergarten. The class made up their own things that would hatch from Horton's egg. So I did the same with my class. I put our scrap paper bin on the table with some scissors and glue. The kids created little creatures and I attached them to a cracked egg.
We had some cuties!


I love the eyes peeking out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a cute idea! It would really be a good activity to use before you read the story. This way the children could see if they could predict what will happen by just seeing the cover of the book. It would be a great way to have the children show their creativity. I would have more options of what they wanted to make their creation out of rather than just the construction paper. I also really liked that you created a display out of their creations. This shows children that you truly care about their artwork. Displaying it at their eye level would be another consideration! I’m actually using this idea for one of my activities for one of the college courses I’m currently taking. I look forward to looking around your blog a little more for more fun ideas. Again, such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Betsy said...

Thank you, Amber! Those are wonderful ideas. I appreciate hearing how others would do things differently!