Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Haunted Houses

Today we discussed the letter H, talked about Halloween, had Hat day...

and made Haunted Houses.
I cut several "cartoonish" houses from black paper. I just cut free-hand and made each one a little different.
Then I cut out a bunch of simple shapes for the windows, shutters, doors, and chimneys. I also put out pumpkins and ghosts and other self-adhesive foam pieces that I got from Michaels a couple years ago.
Then the kids decorated their haunted houses.


I love how unique each one is.
And to keep with our Halloween/spooky theme, I got out the water gems again (I first mentioned those here) but this time I added eyeballs! They are actually super balls that I got at Target in the Halloween section.
I made a game for it, as well. I cut out some pumpkins from paper and put a number (1, 2, or 3) on them. The kids picked a pumpkin and grabbed that number of eyeballs from the bucket.
When they got 10 eyeballs, the game was over and they could play again.

I have one more thing to share with you today. One of the kids in my class brought in orange jack o' lanterns for snack!
They were filled with grapes. How cute is that?!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh I really like your orange jack-o-lanterns! What a good idea for the kids lunches! Thanks Bets.

Unknown said...

Those orange jack-o-lanterns are awesome! That must have taken a lot of time to carve all of that out. Man, what a dedicated parent!

I love your haunted house display. I like how they all look so different too.

Betsy said...

I know! How time consuming that must be, but so worth it!

Nancy said...

I did the oranges for my kids yesterday. I only had to do 3 and it took forever! It is very hard to scrape all of the pulp out (I added it to OJ). I filled them with strawberry pieces. The kids thought they were cute. Calvin tried to eat it! :)