Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back-to-School Display

Many, many years ago I made this crayon box poster:
I didn't come up with the idea. I found it in a Mailbox book. It was so cute, I just had to make it to welcome the students to Pre-K. I put each child's name on a crayon and scattered the crayons around the box. But I left that crayon poster at my old center, so I had to make a new one this year. I planned on hanging it on my door, so I made it smaller.
Everyone loved it and the kids had fun finding their crayons! Even I had a crayon because I'm new, too!
UPDATE:
I've been getting several requests for instructions on how I made the crayon box, so I thought I'd add to this post. For the second box I made, I cut out two rectangles from poster board. I made one slightly longer than the other. The taller one goes in the back. I cut the top of the taller one to make it look like it folds down, like a real box of crayons. So I cut at some angles and then creased the board.

For the shorter rectangle, I cut a shallow U-shape from the top. Then I put glue on the bottom and sides of the shorter rectangle and glued it to the back rectangle. I wanted to leave the top and middle open so I could slide the crayons in. I glued the crayons to the back piece of poster board.
Then I just colored with crayons and markers so it looked like a box of crayons. For the first one I made, I used stencils for the words "our new pack." For the second one, I printed them off my computer, cut them out and glued them on the box.
As for the crayons, I used a template from a Mailbox book, but if you google crayon coloring sheets or crayon templates, I'm sure you can find something you like. Here is one I like:
http://freecoloringpagesite.com/coloring-pics/crayon-coloring-2.gif
Just enlarge it to whatever size you need. I printed the crayons out on colored paper, cut them out, added a few to my poster and the rest were scattered around my poster with the children's names on them. I hope these added instructions help those who want to make one!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome. I will be new s well this year! Why is the class size so small?

Betsy said...

I work at a small center and I am the only teacher in my classroom, so I cannot have more than 13 students. Glad you like it!

dionne14 said...

i so love this what kind of paper did you use for the box is it a poster bored also where did you get the crayons at and if you can email me the crayons please that you xopreciousox143@gmail.com

Unknown said...

LOVe this! I think I can recreate the crayon box but do you have a template for the different colored crayons? LOVE Them and as a new teacher I will be new to the class as well this year! If you have a template could you email it to me at amb287@Yahoo.com please??

Anonymous said...

I am currently in the process of making this. For the crayons I used scrapbook paper. Just cut a rectangle, then made the crayon top. Did the curvy lines by hand and colored them in with black marker. I will laminate and make a name plate for the kids names. That way I can use it next year. As for the box...haven't figured it out yet ; )

Betsy said...

That sounds great, Peggy! Good luck with the box!